Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pau Hana Saturday Nov.30

Saturday, Nov 30.
N 31*02.812'
W 071*19.960'
Speed 6 kts
Heading 150*
Wind E 15 kts
Pressure 1028 mb

light winds this morning slowed progress
now the wind is up and were heading SE into the E wind
good sailing, 70* F
last night was also light wind and poor progress, but safe and no problem.


radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pau Hana Position Report

Today is beautiful. Sunny and great sailing.
N 32* 07.4'
W 072* 37.3'
speed 5 kts
course 140* magnetic
wind N NE 10-15 kts
pressure 1025 mb

280 miles so far.
970 miles to go.


radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Friday, November 28, 2014

Pau Hana

1 pm EST
N 33*15.98'
W 074*09.05'
heading 145* magnetic
speed 5.5 - 6 kts
wind NW @ 15 kts
pressure 1022 mb

we're past the gulf stream.
many squalls last night and this morning.
downwind sailing now towards N 25 W 65
dolphins playing in our bow wave.
deep blue water
it's starting to get warmer.


radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Pau Hana position report

We left Beaufort at 8:00 am EST
It is now 3:15 pm EST = 20:15 UTC
N 34* 04.7'
W 076* 13.9'
heading 140* magnetic
speed 6.5 kts
wind 20-25 kts W
pressure 1017 mb

we are in the gulf stream current.
it's going well. confused seas are uncomfortable but manageable.
we hope to exit the gulf stream by 0300 tomorrow morning.


radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hurry up & wait

We are currently on hold in Beaufort, NC due to bad weather offshore. It looks like our next chance to leave will be early Thursday AM. We're hoping the current forecast holds as the conditions are looking ideal for crossing the Gulf Stream. The boat is ready & so are we!

Friday, November 21, 2014

HF Radio

Test message to post to blog via SSB radio.
We're in Oriental, NC. It has been below freezing at night.
We're moving over to Beaufort tomorrow.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Thursday, November 20, 2014

46 bottles of wine in the bilge

Getting loaded for the long haul.

We've had some delay due to cold weather, tornado watches, thunderstorms, waiting for mail & parts, etc. Looking to leave Beaufort in the next 3-5 days, weather and potential depletion of bilge stores dependent, of course.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Friday, November 14, 2014

"Are you here with the circus?"

asked the cashier at Walmart while I was trying to buy a can of WD-40 yesterday.
"Ahhh, which circus?" I asked.
"Cirque du Soleil is in town and I thought you might be with them," she replied.
Hmmmm. I'm thinking it's time to leave Virginia, they just don't get the funky Bozeman ski hat style. Or maybe it was something else????

So we loaded up our circus today and headed out of Hampton, VA and entered the Intracoastal Waterway. We made it to Great Bridge, VA. We're going to motor for about 4 days south to Beaufort, NC before heading offshore. It topped out at 44 degrees today, balmy for all you guys in MT, but feels like winter around here.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Let the projecting begin

We arrived in Hampton, VA last week after a mad push to pack our stuff into storage(!) and socialize with all the peeps we're going to miss in the coming months. We've been busy with boat prep/repair all week and have another week of steady work ahead of us prior to leaving VA. The boat's looking great and we're getting psyched.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Commence dirt bag procedure

Lexi and I have both quit our jobs and are going traveling on our 1985 Wauquiez Pretorien Pau Hana. Our house in Bozeman is leased and we are moving onto the boat on Monday. Our last stint of unemployment was in 2003-2004. We hope to travel the Caribbean and Pacific through 2017. 2015 will be the first ski season I've ever missed! Have a great winter!