Saturday, August 27, 2016

Underway to Kauehi

[pos]15 25s 146w
[sp]5 kts
[h]140 t
[w]15 kts E
[s]underway from Rangiroa to Kauehi. waves 2m. clouds 50%. 1013mb. close reach
After two weeks at Rangiroa, we're making slow progress against wind, waves, and adverse current. Luckily Pau Hana goes to windward well and smoothly. The Tuamotus would be quite nerve wracking without GPS. The atoll are low and are not visible until we're within 5 miles. Minimal navigational aids.
There was another sailboat near us this morning, but we didn't see it visually. No other boats at all so far on this passage. I just had my first successful check-in with my new General Class Ham license on the Pacific Seafarers net. On 14 MHz I was able to speak with Ham stations in California and Arizona as well as several other boats in the South Pacific. I don't usually talk on the radio much, but it's fun to expand my skills.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment