Thursday, April 2, 2015

the big one

Howdy Everyone!
Pau Hana has stepped out for the big one!
3000 miles of the deep blue sea!
We had an outstanding three week visit to the Galapagos and are happy to be back on the ocean.
Our diving in the Galapagos afforded us a chance to see some of the really large animals that live out here.
I've already hooked into two fish that stretched and broke my 80lb monofilament like taffy.
One I actually got to hold on to the hand reel for a moment before the line broke. I think they were both large tuna.
I'll keep trying, but I wish I had a large saltwater reel with a drag device on the stern rail.
Perhaps weaker hooks so the hook breaks before I loose my lure. I've been making lures from bottle caps and mylar food packaging.
We left Puerto Villamil, Isla Isabella at 10am on April 1. We should arrive at Nuka Hiva, Marquesas, French Polynesia in 20-25 days.
There are at least 8 boats within 100 miles of us. We have set up a daily radio schedule so we can keep in touch and tell fishing stories.
Conditions are favorable so far. We are working our way south for a bit and not steering directly towards Marquesas. The SE tradewinds are better established to the south of S 05*

Martin

Current position
S 02*07.6'
W 092*33.8'
speed 6 kts
course 225*M

Destination:
S 07*
W 140*

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment